Prices are tax included
Product successfully added to your shopping cart
There are 0 items in your cart. There is 1 item in your cart.
The importance of this mountain is due to the legend of the miraculous appearance of the Madonna and Child in one of the caves. This cave received the name Santa Cova (The Saint Cave). To this day the wood carving of the Madonna and Child are kept in the Church of the monastery and it is possible to visit it. This image of the Madonna is popularly known as La Moreneta (The Black Madonna) for its dark color. The color is the result of a reaction caused by varnish. La Moreneta´s holiday is on April 27th.
Due to the legend of the Madonna, the mountain has been linked with spirituality. Besides the main monastery of Santa María de Montserrat, there is a great number of small churches and chapels, some of them abandoned. The main monastery stands at 720 meters above sea level. Nowadays there is a community of 80 monks that live there and follow the rule of Saint Benedict.
During the first part of the tour the guide will give you an introduction to the history of the monastery and the mountain. Later we will take a short walk to the viewpoint of “la Creu de Sant Miquel”, where you will be able to admire one of the most impressive panoramic views of the mountain and the monastery. Around 12pm we will enjoy the tasting of local food products served during the brunch. Later we will attend to the performance of the chorus, which is one of the oldest boys’ choir in Europe, to finish later with the guided visit in the Sacristy. The tour will finish with some free time (almost 3 hours) to invest in the typical liqueurs tasting, to visit de audiovisual exhibition, to buy some food products in the local market, to discover new pathways around the mountain and to enjoy the fabulous landscape buy yourself.
What to visit in Montserrat?
* La Moreneta: the most popular option, both for the locals and the foreigners. Depending on the time of the year there can be a long queue.
* Escolanía: one of the oldest Boys Choir in Europe. They usually have concerts on weekdays at 13:00. It is recommended to consult the timetable.
* Museum: wide variety of archeological and an art gallery with works from medieval times to avant-garde. The entrance to the museum is not included in the tour. Time to visit approximately two hours.
* Funicular of Sant Joan and funicular of the Santa Cova: The funiculars offer the possibility of get to different points of the mountain. The price of the tickets are not included in the tour and it is recommended to consult the timetable.
* Hiking routes: The Mountain has many hiking routes. The routes are long and it can take hours to finish them. A good option is to walk to the cross of Sant Miguel (approximately 15 minutes away from the monastery), it offers one of the best panoramic views of the mountain and the monastery.
* The Basilica de Montserrat holds the Montserrat Virgin, known as La Moreneta (the Black Virgin), which is the patron saint of Catalonia.
* L’Escolania, the children’s choir, takes part in the sanctuary prayers with sacred music (performances subject to the school calendar).
* Breathtaking views of this natural park and towns around are enjoyed from the mountain.
* Bilingual guide.
* Radio guide system.
* Walk to the viewpoint of the Creu de Sant Miquel and the chapel of Sant Miquel.
* Exclusive entrance to the Sacristy.
* Brunch of local products such a cold meats, cheeses and dessert paired with two cup of wine and one cup of cava, typical sparkling wine of Catalonia.
* Taste of 3 typical liquors. Handmade by the monks of the monastery.
* Entrance to the audiovisual exhibition in Montserrat “Espai Audiovisual Montserrat”.
* Discounts for some of the main attractions: 20% off in the Sant Joan Funicular ticket, 10% off in the Museum entrance fee, 10% off in the buffet restaurant at the "Mirador dels Apostols".
* Hotel pickup and drop-off.
* Ticket to the funicular.Please Note* Starting Time: 09:15 AM / Check-in Time: 09:00 AM
* This tour is bilingual.
* Proper dress code is requested to enter the Basilica at Montserrat. It is not permitted to enter with tank tops, strapless shirts, short shorts or sandals.
* Please be aware that some walking is included in this tour, please come prepared and we recommend wearing comfortable clothes and shoes.
* At Montserrat there is a mountains climate, depending on the season you will need clothes protecting you from the rain and/or cold.
* All the schedules that are detailed are approximate and may vary according to extraordinary conditions. We suggest you be attentive at all times to the instructions of the guide.
* For your comfort, a radio guide system is offered during the tour, in groups of more than 5 people.
* Please remember to request a change in the usual menu due to food intolerances or other reason when making your reservation and wait for the answer. If you do not notify us in advance, the company is not responsible for not being able to serve you an alternative menú.
* Print your voucher and give it to your guide. E-voucher accepted.
* Please be at the meeting point 15 minutes before the tour begins.
* Julià Travel Gray Line Spain contact: 0034 93 317 64 54 / firstname.lastname@example.org
* Cancellation policy: a 100% cancellation penalty applies if cancelled 24 hours or less prior to travel date or in case of no-show